Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Draft List 1

(UPDATE:  actual ever-changing list can be seen on the List page)

I asked, and you kids responded. I still need to do some more sorting, but here's a short prelim list of the types of things I'm hoping to do (if you missed the explanation of what the hell i'm talking about, please go here to see how you can help me, well, not be boring)


Draft List 1
  • Start a blog (item #1 . . . check)
  • Do yoga (bikram yoga, if i got the balls)
  • Do pilates
  • Try sushi (I've done it while drunk, so I don't think it counts)
  • Learn to make my own homemade pasta sauce like a good Italian boy should
  • Start a pub crawl
  • Get pizza at Santarpio's and/or Pizzeria Regina
  • Break 7 minute pace in a 5K race
  • Try a 24/24/24 challenge (run 24 miles and drink 24 beers in 24 hours)
  • Take a punch to the stomach / get slapped by a girl
  • Read a book in a day
  • Bake a cake and/or bake a pie
  • Visit the Mapparium in Boston (no, i hadn't heard of it until it was suggested)
  • Hike Mt Washington, or at least get above the tree line
  • Hike Mt Graylock, or the to the point in western Mass where 3 states meet
  • 9-9-9 Club (9 dogs, 9 beers in 9 innings of baseball)
  • No TV or video games for a week (yes, that includes Hulu. and yes, i most definitely would wait until after the football season for this one)
  • Try the trapeze
  • Attempt Ferris Bueller's Day off in Chicago
  • Attend a political event/rally
  • Take a dance class / go salsa dancing
  • The 2 1/2 Men drinking game (watch my most despised TV show and drink every time the laugh track goes off)
  • Attend a hillbilly event (Nascar, rodeo, etc)
  • Take a duck tour
  • Make a day trip to NYC on the Bolt Bus (or for a real adventure, the Fung Wah bus)
  • Have or attend a Festivus party
  • Suit up (wear a suit to the bar for no damn reason)
  • Go a blind date / go speed dating
  • Actually go to church (preferably something out of my element, aka, non-Catholic or even non-Christian)
  • Learn to hockey stop
  • Visit the Mall of America (an excuse to finally visit my little sis in Minneapolis)
  • Learn to surf
  • Attend a play (I don't I've been to one in 5+ years)
  • Attend a local wrestling event (think shitty town hall, like in The Wrestler)
  • Learn rugby
  • Take an art class (or get taught screenprinting by Meg!)
  • See a Boston Breakers women’s soccer game, or a Boston Cannons lacrosse game
  • Sell a ton of crap on eBay and see what the most ridiculous thing I can sell is
  • Climb the Bunker Hill Monument
  • Change a baby diaper and feed a baby without breaking out in sweats
  • See Sloan in Canada (my all-time favorite band in their home country)
  • See soccer in Europe (OK, this one might be a hope and a prayer this year, but its #1 on my lifelong list)
  • Have a 100 different beers this year (the first 50 will be easy. the 2nd 50 will be a bit more of an effort)
  • Go rock climbing
  • Go to Kelly’s Roast Beef in Revere
  • Volunteer / sign up for Boston Cares
  • See the cranberry bog flooding on the Cape
  • Go to a haunted house in Salem during the Halloween season
  • Buy stock (that isn't just part of my 401K)
  • Do a sprint triathalon
  • Run a 6 minute mile (this was our HS soccer team's goal for awhile. I never made it, but i think 31 year old Alan may actually have a better chance than 17 year old Alan)
  • Go for a night hike and camp out for the sunrise
  • Go snowshoeing
  • Do the cliff walk in Newport, RI
  • Take a ferry to the Boson Harbor Islands
  • Listen to an entire country album (I thought about listening to an entire DMB album, but I can only be so sadomasochistic)
  • Go to a concert for band I've never heard of
  • Watch 3 Oscar winning movies made before 1975
Again, this list is a work in progress. And frankly, it will probably be pretty fluid throughout the year if people continue to come up with cool stuff that can definitely considered a new experience. If someone says "hey, we're going skydiving tomorrow, want to come", I think that counts, even though it might not be on the list. But "hey we're going to that new Starbucks that opened" probably shouldn't be counted. My standards may be low, but they exist. 


Anyway, with the second legitimate post, I think item #1, start a blog, is underway. Item #2, have 100 different beers, is, not surprisingly, also underway. 
  • Shipyard Pumpkinhead
  • Wachusett Green Monstah Ale
  • Shocktop
  • Sam Adam's Oktoberfest
  • Keystone Light
  • PBR
Like I said, the first 50 will be the easy 50.


And this Saturday we make a first attempt for #3 - run a 5K at 7 minute mile pace. It's been a 4 year journey towards it, but we'll hopefully we'll celebrate and discuss Saturday.


Keep the ideas coming kids.


1 comment:

  1. This is quite the list you've got going, Al. I like the variety it provides vs. the ones I've seen before...guy went to see 100 Bands in 100 Days...drive around the world...etc. Blogs ended up being less interesting because it was the same damn thing over and over.

    I'll toss out a couple, of course, please feel free to nix them if you've already done these but as far as I know you haven't:
    - Race up the stairs of the tallest building in Boston
    - Enter a LIVE (not online) poker tournament
    - Visit 1 country you've never been to before (kind of like the Sloan one)
    - I like the "Suit Up" one, but even better would be to do Vegas "Tuxedos and Toothbrushes" style. Get on a plane in a tux with a toothbrush in your pocket. No luggage allowed of any kind.
    - Take a SCUBA class (one would be fine)
    - Buy something from an infomerical or phone solicitor (QVC would count, I guess) but something tells me you've got this one covered
    - Try a random "fad diet" for a week (e.g., vegetable-only, high protein, whatever) and report the results, including side effects
    - Get a colonic (probably do this after the one above)
    - Learn to make one, old-fashioned, classic cocktail REALLY well

    Ok - creative juice is out for the day.

    ReplyDelete